By the 6th of October this year, Instagram will clock 12 years.
12 years of growth… 12 years of dominance… 12 years of turning millions of people into millionaires. And, of course, 12 years of setting the pace for others.
You think of Instagram and you think of elegance, style, and perfection.
For all the buzz around TikTok, Instagram is still the home of perfection – the place everybody showcases their perfect lives.
For all the strides of YouTube, Instagram is still the home of influencers – the place where influencers make the most money.
For all the competitions presented by Twitter, Instagram is still the home of celebrities – where your Ronaldos, Taylor Swifts, and Dwayne Johnsons showcase their lives.
Indeed, Instagram has cut across every sphere of life in its 11 years of existence. It only makes sense then that it’s the social networking destination of business owners and their customers. Today, there are more than 200 million business accounts on Instagram that users visit every day (Instagram, 2021).
Like that isn’t enough. With 2 billion+ Monthly active users, Instagram is effectively the third most used social networking app in the world, only behind YouTube and Facebook. To think Instagram came to be five years after YouTube and six years after Facebook, and now has as many users as those two is enough evidence to show that IG is, indeed, one of the most loved social app out there.
Without saying too much, below is a list of up-to-date Instagram statistics that you need to explore to leverage the platform this year.
Table of Contents
- General Instagram Fact Sheet (By Stormlikes.net)
- Instagram Usage Fact Sheet
- Instagram Stories Fact Sheet
- Instagram Travel-Specific Fact Sheet
- Instagram Business Fact Sheet
- Instagram Ad Fact sheet
- Instagram Reels Fact Sheet
- Instagram Influencer Fact Sheet
1) General Instagram Fact Sheet
Instagram users worldwide as of October 2021, by age group
23.92% of the 4.18 billion active mobile internet users access Instagram monthly, the same amount of people that live in Europe and North America combined
Number of users by country:
India, with 180 million users, followed by the United States (170 million), Brazil (110 million), Indonesia (93 million), and Russia (61 million).
US Regional demographics of Instagram users
45% of people living in an urban area use Instagram
41% of people living in a suburban area use the app
25% of people living in a rural area use the app
2) Instagram Usage Fact Sheet 2022
Captivating Instagram usage stats for 2022
- An average Instagram post contains 10.7 hashtags Hubspot, 2020
- Average number of likes for an Instagram post: 1,261 Mention, 2018
- In December, 2021, Instagram hit 2 Billion MAU (monthly active users) CNBC, 2021
- Most social media marketing experts agree that strong engagement falls around 1% to 5% Hootsuite, 2021
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram per day. Wordstream, 2021
- Over 40 billion photos and videos have been shared on the Instagram platform since its conception. Wordstream, 2021
- Instagram can generate over 4X more interactions compared to Facebook Socialbakers, 2018
3) Instagram Stories Fact Sheet 2022
Not using IG Stories is like buying an iPhone and not using Siri. Find out some amazing Instagram Stories stats here.
- Instagram stories are used by Instagram
- One third (1/3) of the most viewed Instagram Stories are from businesses. Instagram
- About 70% of Instagram stories are viewed with the sound on Media Kix
- Nearly 58% of people have become more interested in a brand/product they saw on stories. Hootsuite
- 1 in 3 self-reported daily active Instagrammers surveyed said they have become more interested in a brand or product after seeing it on Instagram Stories. Facebook
- A massive 86.6% of Instagram users post stories. True List
- 50% of businesses on Instagram create at least one story during a typical business month. EmbedSocial
- Approximately 60% of millennials publish or watch Instagram Stories. 99 Firms
- Stories with over 26 frames have a 2% exit rate. Marketing Charts
- 10.36.2% of B2B decision makers use Instagram Stories to research new products or services. Hootsuite
- Stories have increased the amount of time users spend on Instagram to 28 minutes. Media Kix
- By March 2018, 52% of Instagram influencers had reportedly replaced Snapchat Stories with Instagram Stories completely. Medium
- Tapping forward is the most common way of watching a Story as shown by the high tap forward rate, averaging 80% for Stories with 25 frames. Tap forward rate is lowest (68%) for the first frame of a Story and gradually increases frame to frame, peaking at 83% for the 21st frame. Marketing Charts
- User actions, including tap forwards, tap backs and exits, are least common on the second frame of a Story, making this a great place for important content. Marketing Charts
- Sports-related Instagram stories have a spectacular 90% completion rate. 99 Firms
4) Instagram Travel-niche Fact Sheet
Instagram Travel niche stats 2022
- 48% of people choose their destination based on what they see on Instagram. Adweek
- 35% of Instagrammers discover new places to visit from Instagram. Adweek
- Fifty-two percent of consumers say they’ve made plans to visit a specific destination based on an image or video they saw from friends, family or peers on social media Stackla
- Thirty-eight percent of people say that influencer content never impacts which hotel or resort they choose to stay at when traveling Stackla
- 70% of travel enthusiasts use Instagram to share their travel. Wordstream
- 72% of Millennials and Gen X share their photos on social media while traveling Expedia
- Men are twice as likely to fake it, with more than 40% of men, compared to 21% of women having admitted to posting a fake holiday photo to Instagram. Expedia
- More than one in five (22%) Millennials and Gen X spending an hour or more each day while travelling documenting their holiday on social media Expedia
5) Instagram Business Fact Sheet
- 200 million Instagrammers actively visit the profile of a business every day. Instagram
- More than 80 percent of Instagram accounts follow a business page. Instagram
- 81% of users say that they use the platform to research products and services. Instagram
- Brands post an average of 27.9X per month on Instagram. Statista
Average number of monthly image posts by brands to Instagram from January 2016 to December 2017
- Research say 1,261 is a good number of likes to get. Mention
- Research say average number of comments vary on IG depending on post type. 11.1 comments for video post, 7.99 comments for carousel posts, and 5.76 for images Statista
- Target 11. Experts say 11 is the magic number for hashtag usage. Hootsuite
- Social apps with the highest influence on shopping behaviors: Instagram (50%), Facebook (23%), Pinterest (22%), Twitter (3%), Snapchat (1%). Digital Marketing Community
6) Instagram Ads Fact sheet
- Instagram contributed over 50% of parent company Facebook's $50.30 billion in net ad revenues in 2021. eMarketer
- Total ad ‘spend’ on Instagram is 23% higher than that of Facebook. Digiday
- Every month, more than 2 million advertisers place ads on Instagram. Instagram
- Instagram ads has an inherent reach of over 1.2 billion people, which is an equivalent of 20% of the world's population over age 13. Hootsuite
- 27% of Instagrammers say they find about new products and services through paid social ads. Hootsuite
- 50.8% of Instagram’s ad audience is female, and 49.2% are male. Hubspot
- Average Instagram ads cost CPC is around $0.20 – $2.00. Webfx
7) Instagram Reels Fact Sheet
- 87% of Gen Z TikTok users agree that reels is basically the same as TikTok. Morning Brew
- Reels receive 22% more engagement than regular Instagram feed video content. Influencer Marketing Hub
- Reels Launched First in Brazil in 2019 as “Cenas.” Techcrunch
- With the launch of Reels, Instagram users in Brazil jumped up by 4.34%, which highlights a significant level of acceptance. Influencer Marketing Hub
- Instagram Downloads Increased by 11.4% in India. The Times of India
- Time Spent on Instagram in India Increased by 3.5% after the launch of reels. The Times of India
- NFL teams’ Reels generate 67% more engagement than their regular video posts. Conviva
- Reels are shown on the explore page. Considering the Explore tab is visited by more than 200 million people each day, that’s a great shot at getting viral. Conviva
- Wikipedia states that getting more than 5 million views over a 3 to 7 day period indicates a viral video (Reels). Wikipedia
- Instagram Reels ads is available in 80-plus countries. Adweek
- Since the ads are in 80-plus countries, as confirmed by an Instagram spokesperson, we can infer ‘Reel’ is now available in 80-plus countries, too. Adweek
8) Instagram Influencer Fact Sheet
- 97% of marketers consider Instagram the most important influencer marketing channel. Oberlo
- $1.7 to $2.3 Billion Is Currently Being Spent On Instagram Influencers. Media Kix
- 67% of brands use Instagram for influencer marketing. Influencer Marketing Hub
- Instagram ranks as the #1 most strategically important social media channel for influencer marketing. Media Kix
- There Are Over 15 Million Sponsored Posts On Instagram To Date. Media Kix
- Instagram Influencer Rates Range From $50 To $1 Million For A Single Sponsored Post. Influencer Marketing Hub
- Search Interest for “Instagram Influencer” which tripled over the past few years is currently on a downward spiral.
- In 2020, Instagram influencers with 5,000 to 20,000 followers accounted for 47.3 percent of influencer accounts worldwide. Statista
- Sponsored Posts On Instagram Have Grown 30% Year-Over-Year Media Kix
- How many influencers are there on Instagram? Active influencers account for 39 percent of all Instagram accounts with more than 15 thousand followers. Statista
And that’s that about that. All the stats that matter for your marketing, sales, or personal account growth on Instagram.